If you’re a professional woman with a full time job over the age of 40 then online dating is probably the only way you have to meet men. My online dating pattern is to sign up for 3 months and quit after 6-8 weeks. In my experience, the most common scenario that plays out is that I strike up a conversation with an interesting guy, after a week or two it gets boring for both of us, and the trail goes cold. Only 4 times in my whole life have I met a guy in the real world face to face. The things I look for in a online dating profile are a smile in the profile photo, pictures that don’t obscure the face, a sense of humor and a personality, originality, well traveled, common interests (movies, books, tv, music).
I strongly believe that a man’s use of the word FEMALES to describe women is directly related to how much he hates women. We’re human beings, not some squirrel on an Animal Planet Documentary. That is the filter I use when evaluating a whether or not to interact with a guy. If he uses the word ‘FEMALES’ then he’s out. That’s the rating system for this countdown: unscientific arbitrary guesses at the likeliness to use the term FEMALE.
Top 5 Online Dating Sites
- E Harmony – I tried this for about 2 weeks. The profiles I read and messages received indicated that all of the men in my age group were overly serious and melodramatic. No personality, and hardly a trace of a sense of humor. Home of the socially awkward.
Likeliness to use the term FEMALE: 89%
- Plenty of Fish – This is one step up from eharmony. Maybe the membership isn’t as high with this one, but its a valid option. There’s some profiles with flashes of personality but hardly worth it.
Likeliness to use the term FEMALE: 75%
- zoosk – I liked this one while I was on it because I made a connection that was totally entertaining, but never ever turned into a real life meeting. He was NOT interested in meeting in person but wanted to chat. every. night. Don’t get it.
Likeliness to use the term FEMALE: 60%
- match.com – I don’t know this for a fact but I think this has the most members so its likely you’ll find someone interesting. I met a guy in the real world from here recently. I wasn’t 100% sure about him, so I turned down an invitation to his house and he never spoke to me again.
Likeliness to use the term FEMALE: 30%
- okcupid – PURE ENTERTAINMENT. Those surveys with all those questions, best invention ever. You’ll learn things about yourself you didn’t know. The site is free to join, so anything goes. Getting propositioned for FWB (friends with benefits), or threesome will probably happen. You might learn about new and exciting fetishes you’ve never heard of.
Likeliness to use the term FEMALE: 20%
If you’re wondering where Christian Mingle is, then you’re on the wrong blog. I would consider joining Christian Mingle as a joke, fill out a profile using a picture of a 19 year old Sister Wife who recently left a cult and was looking for a mate. Then sit back and count how many 50 + year old men try to get with ‘her’.
Important Online Dating Tips
The most important thing with online dating is to BE SAFE. Block and report the guys who send threatening messages when you have the nerve to not respond to them. If you meet a guy, meet in a public place, get his last name, look his ass up in the criminal court records, and Google him. Tell him you’re doing it, and say that he’s more than welcome to look you up too. I hope this common sense information isn’t necessary to impart but here it goes anyway: If it’s to good to be true, it probably is. Never send money.
What are your online dating tips or experiences?